We all made it through 2020, congratulate yourselves! Personally, 2020 was one big, giant, humungous Major Depressive Episode. Others with Major Depressive Disorder will understand. But here on January 1, 2021, with Politics looking better with an incoming President and Vice-President who know what they’re doing, life will start looking better, eventually. I made it through 2020 without major weight gain, huge bills or an alcohol problem, so I count those as major wins!
The past few years, I haven’t made New Year’s Resolutions, instead, I made a Life Journey List. No longer making obscene promises to lose X amount of weight, eat nothing but ‘diet’ foods, force myself into uncomfortable situations. Instead, here is what I vowed:
- Love myself. That means, as I am. Love my life, my body, my intelligence.
- Seek Joy. Look at sunrises, enjoy the book I’m reading, watch a show I like.
- Eat Healthy and Happy! Food is as much about life as it is nourishment. Eat smart but fun!
- Do some form of exercise that I enjoy. Taking care of my body will take care of me.
- Look at pretty things. I’ve surrounded myself with things I enjoy, so my eyes, mind and heart have a treat.
A few months ago, I was hit with a bout of severe depression. I decided to make a list of thoughts that brought me through tough times before. Read and share them with your friends and loved ones:
I AM A VALID, WORTHWHILE HUMAN BEING
MY FEELINGS AND THOUGHTS ARE IMPORTANT
EVERYTHING I THINK, FEEL, SAY AND DO HAVE SIGNIFICANCE
I TAKE CARE OF MYSELF TO FEEL HEALTHY
I DO NOT DEPEND ON OTHER’S OPINIONS OF MYSELF