What a great way to bulk up a spaghetti sauce! Use whatever ground meat or mix that you have and add the shredded carrots to either marinara, ground beef, turkey, sausage, chicken, goat, lamb, etc. I use regular ground beef. Great way to get picky adults and kids to eat healthier! Since meats are so expensive these days, I realized that by adding the shredded carrots, it looks as if the meat is three to four times the size! You still get the color/visual appeal and mouthfeel of a thick, chunky, meaty spaghetti sauce without breaking your bank account or your waistline.
Carrots add to the visual appeal plus all the extra health benefits of antioxidants, cardiovascular health, anti-cancer vitamins and minerals, and of course, visual health. If i’m hosting for a large number of people, i’ll further bulk up the sauce with 3-4 stalks of diced celery, the whole large onion-diced, grated or put through a blender/food processer, etc.. another 28 oz can of tomatoes and two more carrots. If this is an adult dinner, i’ll add a cup of a red wine to the sauce and let simmer for 30 minutes so the alcohol will dissipate and add that depth of flavor!
Since I’m diabetic, I try to cut down on my intake of pasta, especially plain white flour pasta. My body immediately turns it into sugars, which spikes my diabetes, blood pressure and turns it into fat. I look out for whole wheat pastas and pastas that have added fiber (which you can subtract from the grams of carbohydrates!).
Serve with a large, crispy, crunchy three lettuce mix salad. I like the mix of romaine, read and green leaf lettuce.
Carrot and Beef Spaghetti
From my cookbook, “Simple, Healthy, Fresh 1.0”. To purchase, click the tab at the top of the page for links to ebookstore retailers.
1 box/bag Whole Wheat spaghetti (spaghetti, linguini or fettuccini)
1 lb Ground Beef (if using 80%, thoroughly drain after browning, then add after step 3)
4 or 5 Garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1/2 large white or yellow Onion, diced or grated
3-4 medium to large Carrots, shredded or grated
1 28 oz can tomatoes (diced, crushed or pureed)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (First Cold Press)
Cheeses of your choice-I like 3 cheese blend of romano/parmesan/asiago or shred your favorites.
Spices: typical Italian Spices, BOT–Basil, Oregano, Thyme. Add 2-4 tsp each
If you want, add a pinch each of Cayenne and Red Pepper Flakes. I typically add both for that kick, about 1/8-1/4 tsp each.
1) Put large pot of water on to boil, when ready, add spaghetti
2) In a medium to large pan, heat garlic in EVOO until aromatic
3) Add onion until translucent and just caramelizing
4) Add grated/shredded Carrots and sauté until soft
5) Add ground beef and brown (if using lean, otherwise brown separately and drain)
6) At this point add the spices and let heat–you will smell the aromas immediately
7) Add Canned tomatoes and simmer until there is a silky and shiny sheen
8) Drain Spaghetti and add 1 tbsp EVOO to prevent sticking (if wanted).
9) Arrange Spaghetti on plate in a circular motion, add a medium ladle or two of sauce and sprinkle with cheese