Looking For A New Place
So, I’m looking for a new place to live in a short time frame. Here’s what I’ve found out. For those suggesting craigslist for roomshares/rooms for rent, here is what is happening:
1. BOTS-a great sounding apartment with reasonable rent. You send a message and get a link to apply for a rental service/website. SCAM.
2. Application Collectors-people doing market research asking you to fill out an application for a non-existent apartments.
3. Exorbitant Rents-asking as much for their room as most complexes ask for a month’s rent.
4. Out-of-the-way Places-hidden places where there is no bus service, no stores for 50 miles.
5. Asking Huge Application fees and Deposits/First/Last-seriously, are you King George? These people feel they are the Universe’s gift to renters and ask for huge deposits to rent a single room.
6. Say “Females Only”-Because men are the boogeyman.
7. Renter Cleans Up-they’re just looking for a maid for less than what one would cost.
8. In-Kind Service-Babysit, elder care, housework, etc. Again, looking for lower cost slave.
9. Nosy Nellies-want to inspect your room anytime they damn well please, go through your belongings at their whim.
10. Actual room for rent, no app fees/deposit, lets you have your privacy, no hidden rules or maid service expected. RARE!
I’m low-income, being on SSDI so my options are limited to 30% of area income and subsidized housing. There are so many in my shoes and so few affordable housing that any studio apartment opening is gone in a matter of minutes. I’m nearly deaf, so I cannot call. By the time I try to set up an online phone call, the apartment is gone. There are a few websites dedicated to L-I housing but they rarely list email addresses, only phone numbers. If they do list email addresses, 90% of apartment managers ignore them. So i’m in a stuck spot–I need to move by December 31st but nothing is happening. I’ve spent weeks emailing 12-16 hours each day and getting frustrated. I cannot be homeless–I have a kidney transplant that is starting to fail, I have heart issues and I’m nearly deaf. And no one seems to care.